Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Where's Jesus? Joseph reassures his brothers (Genesis 50:15-28)

As we come to the last of Genesis, we encounter the final conversation between Joseph and his brothers now that death has taken jacob from them.  I can imagine their fear must have been high.  "Dad is dead, now what is Joseph going to do to us for selling him?" Words like this must have plagued their minds, they plague mine when I know I have wronged someone and the stop I see holding back the vengenance has been removed.  


I love Joseph's response for it echoes Jesus in so many ways, 

“But Joseph said to them, “Don’t be afraid. Am I in the place of God? You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” And he reassured them and spoke kindly to them.” (Genesis 50:19–21)

Like Joseph brothers who intended harm, the Christian in his pre-regenerate state hates Christ, mocks him, sins against him and even crucifies him and for all these things we come to the cross and cry out for mercy, and in response, God gives us not just mercy, but he saves us and provides for us and our children.  This is covenant, this is grace, this is mercy and radical forgiveness.  This is a picture of the gospel.  Now let us go and live out the example of Joseph to those who have wronged us and let us use words to draw the wonderful parallels between our actions and the actions of Christ.  To God be the glory!

[For those wondering where the Where's Jesus post will go next, I plan on returning to Genesis 1 and picking up the first 28 chapters which I skipped when I started this particular series of entries.  Tune in next week for Genesis 1 - Where's Jesus?]

No comments:

Post a Comment