Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Where's Jesus? Joseph's brothers return to Egypt (Genesis 43)

After returning to Canaan with food, Jacob and his sons enjoy their bounty until it begins to run out.  Then they are sent again to Egypt to ask for more food, they go with their youngest brother, as requested and the chapter ends with these words, "So they feasted and drank freely with him."

There are three themes which arise from today's reading.  First, the setting of the pericope:  Famine versus liberality and feasting.  Outside of the one whom the Spirit rests upon, there is no bounty in the land.  In this case, there is no bounty outside of Joseph's sphere of control; in the New Testament, there is no bountiful life outside of Christ.  Only in him can we feast and celebrate and invite our families to dine in extravagance without want.

The second theme relates to Judah's promise to care for Benjamin on the trip and to bear the consequence of failing to secure his safe return.
"Send the boy along with me and we will go at once...I myself will guarantee his safety; you can hold me personally responsible for him..."(Genesis 43:6-10)

Is this not a picture of Christ, a descendant of Judah, who promises to rescue his brothers and sisters in this world, even if it takes bearing the cost himself in order to redeem them and bring them back into the household of God?  Jesus makes this promise, but he even goes further assuring that both we and he return to the Master's care.
"I will loose none that you have given me."(John 6:39)
The third theme and the final one for today, has to do with the brother's fear in being taken into Joseph's house.  Joseph's servant says to the men,
"It's all right.  Don't be afraid.  Your God, the God of your father has given  you treasure in your sacks; I received your silver."(Genesis 43:23)
Like his brothers, we too come fearfully before God but the Holy Spirit within us testifies that our Father accepts us and means not to harm us but to provide for us and prosper us, as the word of God says,
"I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. 14 I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." (Jeremiah 29:11-14)
God plans to bless us and ensure our life. He is our God and so, like Joseph's brothers, we too will find at the end of time in the house of our God, overseen by Jesus Christ, his son, that we can feast and drink freely with our God.

No comments:

Post a Comment