Thursday, April 8, 2010

Christian Parenting - Simplicity

Today will be my last post in this category, Christian Parenting, for a little while.  So I thought that Simplicity would be a great discipline to end with.  What is simplicity?  It is different for everybody but is grounded in contentment and joy.  Contentment with one's situation and Joy in one's circumstances, without both of these realities, one will never be able to embrace simplicity.  

The proverbs express wonderfully the concept of simplicity.  Let me quote, 
Prov. 30:7 “Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: 
Prov. 30:8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. 
Prov. 30:9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’ Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God. 

Simplicity accepts what God has given  as being sufficient for our present situation.  It seeks to let go of things but not to be impoverished.  Simplicity and poverty are not the same thing, for 
Poverty is not chosen but is imposed, while simplicity is chosen;
Poverty is the result of greed, simplicity is the antidote to greed;
Poverty enslaves, simplicity liberates.

The simple person aims to be free  from attachment to things, in order to attach to God.  However it can be abused by failing to enjoy the good things God has given, or by forcing it on others.

How can we teach our children to live simply?  By living simply ourselves but more than that by discussing with them the result of letting things control our lives, desires control our wallets and stuff control our choices.  Practically we can help children to learn to give things away when new things enter their life, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment