Friday, January 22, 2010

The Discipline of the Lord

I am preparing for a sermon on the love of God and how love involves discipline.  I thought these Scriptures might serve some others as well, both parents with their children and christians in their walk with God.

Deut. 4:36 From heaven he made you hear his voice to discipline you. On earth he showed you his great fire, and you heard his words from out of the fire.

Deut. 11:2 Remember today that your children were not the ones who saw and experienced the discipline of the LORD your God: his majesty, his mighty hand, his outstretched arm;

Deut. 21:18 ¶ If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him,

Job 5:17 “Blessed is the man whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.

Psa. 6:1 ¶ O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.

Psa. 38:1 ¶ O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath.

Psa. 39:11 You rebuke and discipline men for their sin; you consume their wealth like a moth — each man is but a breath. Selah

Psa. 94:12 Blessed is the man you discipline, O LORD, the man you teach from your law;

Prov. 1:2 for attaining wisdom and discipline; for understanding words of insight;

Prov. 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.

Prov. 3:11 My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline and do not resent his rebuke,

Prov. 5:12 You will say, “How I hated discipline! How my heart spurned correction!

Prov. 5:23 He will die for lack of discipline, led astray by his own great folly.

Prov. 6:23 For these commands are a lamp, this teaching is a light, and the corrections of discipline are the way to life,

Prov. 10:17 He who heeds discipline shows the way to life, but whoever ignores correction leads others astray.

Prov. 12:1 ¶ Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Prov. 13:18 He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored.

Prov. 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Prov. 15:5 A fool spurns his father’s discipline, but whoever heeds correction shows prudence.

Prov. 15:10 Stern discipline awaits him who leaves the path; he who hates correction will die.

Prov. 15:32 He who ignores discipline despises himself, but whoever heeds correction gains understanding.

Prov. 19:18 Discipline your son, for in that there is hope; do not be a willing party to his death.

Prov. 22:15 Folly is bound up in the heart of a child, but the rod of discipline will drive it far from him.

Prov. 23:13 Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.

Prov. 23:23 Buy the truth and do not sell it; get wisdom, discipline and understanding.

Prov. 29:17 Discipline your son, and he will give you peace; he will bring delight to your soul.

Jer. 17:23 Yet they did not listen or pay attention; they were stiff-necked and would not listen or respond to discipline.

Jer. 30:11 I am with you and will save you,’ declares the LORD. ‘Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you, I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished.’

Jer. 32:33 They turned their backs to me and not their faces; though I taught them again and again, they would not listen or respond to discipline.

Jer. 46:28 Do not fear, O Jacob my servant, for I am with you,” declares the LORD. “Though I completely destroy all the nations among which I scatter you, I will not completely destroy you. I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished.”

Hos. 5:2 The rebels are deep in slaughter. I will discipline all of them.

Heb. 12:5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: “My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,

Heb. 12:7 ¶ Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?

Heb. 12:8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons.

Heb. 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Rev. 3:19 ¶ Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment