Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Growing in my Ability to Relate to Others

I have never been a great enthusiast of psychology, counseling or personality tests. I have taken numerous tests for mission boards, employers, etc. I am an INTJ on the Meyers-Briggs, an Equipping-Releaser on the Grip-Birkman, a D on the DISC. Frankly none of these have been much help to me in the past, this is not to say they are useless, rather it is to say that I was not in a position to understand the need for such information nor how to use such information. I just finished reading Don Riso's Understanding the Enneagram, and for the first time I can see myself and my unhealthy responses to life and a healthy perspective for improving.

While many may question the wisdom of the Enneagram being used by a Christian pastor (I am one of those), I have found it very helpful by ignoring the spiritual new age overtones and looking strictly at the "self-help" information contained within. As a One on the Enneagram (The Reformer), I am an idealist. i live in the realm of ideals, I try to force those ideals on others because I feel the need to reform the world and correct its imbalances. My feelings arise within me in anger and frustration and frequently I can't enjoy the life we have on this world because it is so short of the ideal. This has gotten me in many troubles - from arguments with others, severe dogmatism as well as criticism. And unfortunately I have been falling down that hole alot recently - hence my struggle to encourage others in my preaching for I am trying to reform them not encourage them.

Riso directs my personality type towards more quiet centering and true thinking which will allow me to see the possibilities and to appreciate the present gifts of the world. This is the path out, the path toward true wisdom for the reformer, a path with others will be willing to take. As i reflect on my past ministry with InterVarsity, the years where I was taking a quiet retreat bi-weekly, my stress level decreased, my influence on others increased, my acceptance and empathy for others grew and life was good. However, when i stop these quiet reflections, my emotions get the better of me, my frustration at the world grows and nobody is able to meet my standards. This aligns with his exposition of the Enneagram. Great.

But the real test is whether it aligns with the Scriptures. Is there a call to sit at the feet of Jesus for the compelling doer. Absolutely - the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Is there a call to be thankful for the moment instead of living for an ideal? Absolutely - Paul's secret of contentment in Philippians 4:12ff and the call to give thanks in every situation, 1 Thes 5:18. Is there a call to bear with one another, exercising wisdom instead of harshly ruling? Again yes, Colossians 3:13 and 1 Peter 5:3.

Am I growing as a disciple? Certainly and is the freedom God brings through his Word and through unlikely sources like a textbook on personalities, liberating? It definitely is, may God be glorified as I love his people and learn to move from idealism to true wisdom for a real world.
...Read more

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott. Good for you for taking a step. I, however, remain a firm non-participant in such activities, and I have lots of fun doing it too. ha ha. My deal: 1) it's completely tautological. You already know what you tell it (obvious, right?). So in that sense I think it is only pseudo science. But just because it's a "personality test" we take it more seriously. Of course, it can be helpful to sit down and think about who you are in a guided fashion. Nothing wrong with that. But I nitpickingly want to clarify that the test does not add any information - except 2) when it does add information by placing you in a category that includes other things that are not you, or possibly not you. In that case it seems more problematic because you then "discover" things about yourself that are not really so. I say, γνῶθι σεαυτόν as a continual process of self reflection. But I suppose if someone put a guy to my head I would go ahead do one. But I'd probably cheat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a tremendous value in being thankful for the moment. Being thankful for this moment, right now, right here even as you read this is a wonderful expression of praise to God. Don't you think God delights when his creation takes joy in its existence?

    If you can take joy and be truly present, that is truly in the moment at any given time, then in those moments that are special you can be truly present and grateful for your experience. What a praise to God that would be! Being joyful and grateful is not a command, but simply a sign that you are on the path. I will not pretend to be joyful and grateful all the time. However, in those times when I am really down about perhaps my job, I look back on when I had no job and find I can be truly grateful for what I have, right here, right now, in this very moment.

    Joshua

    ReplyDelete