Saturday, June 6, 2009

Why Scripture meditation is important

There is a difference between devotional reading and Scripture meditation.  In devotional reading, we come to the text, take a few thought which may be out of context and run for the day, while in meditation, we read the text and let it ruminate in us and challenge our understanding of the text and life itself.  We are all in need of scriptural meditation.  Let me take a few minutes to illustrate the difference between the two from my own life.   

A few days ago, I was reading a passage from Isaiah 66.  In verse 3, God says, "He who slaughters an ox is like one who kills a man;"  At first glance, I must admit that I walked away saying, yet another reason to be and stay a vegetarian. (There are many who incorrectly use this verse in this way.  This is not to say that vegetarianism isn't a good lifestyle, it is, but that is for another blog entry.) But that was an incorrect reading of the passage and had I just walked away and not meditated and ruminated on the passage, my understanding of the text and God's message for my life would have been faulty.  After further reflection on the passage (as I was driving, on my way home from the dump later that morning) it came to me, everything God uses to illustrate his point in the passage is related to sacrificial acts: 'slaughters the ox', 'sacrifices a lamb', 'presents a grain offering', and 'makes a memorial offering.'  These are acts of worship and God is saying the one who worships and doesn't let their life be affected by that worship is a heinous sinner: 'kills a man', 'breaks a dog's neck', 'offers pig's blood' and 'blesses an idol.'  

Worship in all of Isaiah, or for that matter, all of Scripture, changes our very life.  It is to change the way we live and the things we do.  For all of life is an act of worship.  To worship as an act is to miss the point, it is to sin.  But to worship as a lifestyle, allowing the act to change our very life, this is true worship.  So that leaves me asking, "Where does my life need to be changed by the act of worship?"  For I truly desire to live a life of worship instead of performing an act of worship.

So the next time you read your morning passage of Scripture, ruminate on it, meditate on it and see how God changes your initial understanding of the text.  To God be the Glory, great things he has done.

3 comments:

  1. According to you definition is there a place for a devotional reading of scripture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, we all need devotional reading, it is a great way of getting the Word of God into our minds and hearts, furthermore God may use a passage which we would consider out of context to speak to us in a particular need we have. That said, stopping at devotional reading is a no, no. We need to reflect more fully on the Word of God and allow it to transform us. What I have found is that when I read devotionally I am in charge, but when I meditate, God is in charge bringing new truths out to me.

    ps. Dano - Do you have an email that you could write me at so that I could catch us personally with you? You can write me at scott(at)hopeinchristchurch.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. my email is under my profile.

    ReplyDelete